If you’re using Microsoft Outlook, when you try to email documents from Sage Accounts or Sage 50 Payroll one of the following message may appear. These can be due to environmental settings or report specific issues.
‘Unable to send all emails.’
‘ExtendedErrorCode.COMError: “Generic COM Error’
‘Failed to output to email’
Not using Microsoft Outlook? Check your SMTP settings and check that your webmail password is correct. For information about SMTP settings in Sage Accounts, refer to article 12659.
Check you use a compatible version of Microsoft Outlook
1. Check your version of Outlook is compatible with your Sage software and you’re using the desktop version and not cloud based.
If you don’t have a compatible version of Outlook, to email from your Sage software use SMTP settings instead.
2. Install all updates for the version of Outlook you’re using. Read more >>
3. Try emailing your document again.
Check Run as administrator settings are the same for Outlook and your Sage software
1. Close all software, right-click the Outlook shortcut then click Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab, check if the Run this program as an administrator check box is selected or clear, click OK.
3. Right-click the Sage software shortcut then click Properties.
4. Click the Compatibility tab, set Run this program as an administrator to be the same as Outlook, click OK.
5. Try emailing your document again.
Check Microsoft Outlook opens correctly
1. Close and reopen Microsoft Outlook and check that it opens correctly.
2. Right-click any file on the computer, for example, a Word document, click Send To then click Mail Recipient.
If nothing happens or an error appears, proceed to the following section.
Set Outlook as the default mail provider
1. Press the Windows key + R, type control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms then click OK.
2. Click Set your default programs, click Outlook (desktop), click Set this program as default then click OK.
3. Right-click any file on the computer, for example, a Word document, click Send To then click Mail Recipient.
If a new Outlook email window appears, Outlook is now set as the default mail provider and you should try emailing your document again. If it doesn’t work, proceed to the following section.
If nothing happens or an error message appears, Outlook is not correctly configured as the default mail provider and you should contact your local IT support to carry out a repair install of Microsoft Outlook